How Easily Can Strangers Find You??


Have you ever sat to think about how much information random strangers have on you? Many people would argue to say that they keep their information personal and don’t hand it out to strangers. However, in today’s technological world, companies, and even random strangers, could create files of information on others just by using the internet.  Within a quick second of a Google search, people can access all public information about you such as your name, locations, email, phone number, work history, interests and image/photos. 

This information prompted me to take a look at my own digital footprint and what I found even surprised me! I have never been one to stay active on all social medias, I mostly stick to Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and LinkedIn, but I am guilty of creating, editing and abandoning other social media accounts such as VSCO, Pinterest, Tumblr, Youtube and Reddit. All of my social medias are private, but I soon realized that that doesn’t stop my public information from being shown. 

a screenshot of what comes up for my name in Google

From the moment I Googled my name I was shown all of my active social media accounts. I was able to see information such as the high school I graduated from, the college I currently attend, my hometown and birthday, along with a PICTURE of me from my 8th grade graduation (where the heck did this come from??!!). To say the least, there is WAY more information on me out there than I even expected. 


Google Image results from my name, showing 6 images of myself on my private accounts 

I have always been aware of keeping a clean digital footprint. I never post of alcohol, tattoos, partying, or anything that could be seen as inappropriate content in the professional world. But never did I think that so much information on me would be out there for random strangers to see! Yes, social media can be a positive thing that keeps people in contact with each other, but it could also be socially damaging. 


Lesson learned: pay attention to what social medias you give information to, and what you are agreeing to when you create an account with a new platform. Your online presence has the potential to bite you in the butt if you aren’t careful enough. 


Comments